This introductory Training Program is tuition-free and designed to provide students with the foundation skills and knowledge required to work safely, productively and sustainably in a harvesting environment.
The program content is based on competencies identified by the BC Forest Safety Council (BCFSC). The competencies were identified in consultation with industry subject matter experts and include the key skills, knowledge and attributes required for entry-level workers to have a strong safety philosophy and be successful.
The program consists of a combination of classroom and hands on training.
• Essential employability skills
• Forestry operations in British Columbia
• Safe work practices used in forestry
• Communication in the forestry environment
• Hazards found in the forest environment
• Basic rigging practices and components
• Documentation required in forestry
• Emergency Response Plan and First Aid requirements
• Ergonomics related to the job
• Attributes required in the forestry industry
• Chainsaw operation
• Forestry laws and regulations
• Safe operation of light duty trucks/trailers on resource roads
In addition, students will complete training in:
• Fall Protection
• S-100 - Fire Suppression and Safety
• Level 1 First Aid
• Transportation Endorsement
You will learn to identify and assess hazards, communicate and move safely as you set chokers on logs, rig stumps, buck logs and work safely around equipment. You will leave the program confident and ready for an entry level logging position.
During this introductory Program, many hours will be spent in the actual logging operations in the vicinity of the training facility.
• Program length: 12 weeks
• Program Dates: September 30 – December 20, 2019
Participants eligible to receive training must be:
• Minimum 19 years of age
• Valid driver’s license
• Physically fit
• Completion of Foresty Foundations assessment (upon registration)
Okanagan College – Revelstoke Centre
1401 First Street West Revelstoke, BC
To register or for more information please call 250-837-4235 ext 6504